Re: Importing tmux into base

On 08/02/2011 12:48, Julio Merino wrote:
On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 05:23:51AM -0500, Matthew Mondor wrote:
This tmux package somehow depends on ncurses (and didn't have a
compile-time option to build against curses instead), I've not looked
more into it.  I assume that this might be because it requires features
that are absent of curses on stable NetBSD releases such as terminfo.

That is something to look at, indeed.  Getting tmux to work with curses
is a prerequisite for its import I presume.  (Note that roy@ says he wrote
a terminfo implementation; the package probably needs some extra logic to
avoid ncurses.)

tmux should not require ncurses if the base OS already defines a terminfo implementation, which -current has for just over a year.

Infact any package which requires curses or terminfo in pkgsrc should be using the terminfo.buildlink3.mk and curses.buildlink3.mk in pkgsrc/mk instead of just blindly depending on ncurses.

Personally I don't object about having it in the base system if it
plays well with curses.

tmux doesn't use curses as such, or didn't last I checked.

Thanks

Roy