Re: Adding -l option to cp

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> I find the -l option in FreeBSD extremely usefule and find myself
> installing coreutils on NetBSD just to get the GNU cp.  It would be
> nice to add this to NetBSD.  Would anyone object if I applied the
> following patch?

It would have been a good idea to include a description of the
feature in your introduction.  I gather from the patch to the man
page that "cp -l" is intended to make hard links if possible, and
to copy if linking is not possible.

This seems like a useful feature, though it is already available
(with a less convenient syntax) from "pax -rwl".

--apb (Alan Barrett)