Re: Adding -l option to cp

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 07:56:42 +0000 (GMT)
Iain Hibbert <plunky%rya-online.net@localhost> wrote:
> > +.It Fl l
> > +Create hard links to regular files in a hierarchy instead of copying.
> > +.It Fl n
>
> (what is -n ?)

An error.  Ignore it.

> does it mean that "cp -l" is like using ln(1) ? why "a heirarchy", is it
> only valid for "cp -Rl" ?

Well, it's only useful for -Rl.

> it might be more useful to add "ln -R" to recursively make a link tree,
> though that would also need to create directories..

I suppose but there are two reasons for doing it in cp.  First, most of
the code is already there.  The amount of code is minimal.  Second, it
matches FreeBSD and Linux.  I know that's not a strong reason to do
something but it seems like a useful function to me so why not do it
the same way as everyone else?

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/