Re: chown in /sbin

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, der Mouse wrote:
> Someone mentioned an rc script that uses it; this isn't relevant
> unless it plausibly can be run before critical_filesystems_* are
> mounted - or unless you want to spport such scripts even if we don't
> have any now.

What doesn't seem to have been mentioned in this thread is that
/etc/rc.d/mountcritlocal now wants to create a directory under /var/run
or /var/spool (I forget the result of that part of the debate), and
chown it.  This is needed/wanted for LVM, which may be needed to mount
the /usr file system.

So, this new use of chown early in the boot sequence is not for
recovery, it's for normal use, so /rescue/chown is not appropriate;
and it's before /usr is mounted, so /usr/sbin/chown will not work.

--apb (Alan Barrett)