Re: libcodecs(3), take 4

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 01:36:42AM +0000, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
> > PS.  To answer Yamamoto-san's point that he couldn't see any use
> > cases, there are lots in the standard transformations in libcodecs(3).
>
> sorry, i don't understand what you mean.
> i don't doubt the usefulness of each transformations.
> i doubt the usefulness of your wrapper library.

So you advocate putting all the transformations into libc?  That is a
backwards step, I believe.

With a separate libcodecs, the transformations can be called from other
libraries and programs. Bloating libc is not one of my goals for this.

> > At the same time, there is a case for getting rid of the following
> > programs from base:
>
> what will be a replacement of them?

A small calling wrapper around libcodecs(3).

Regards,
Alistair