Re: Import of XZ

On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 02:27:56PM -0400, Matthew Mondor wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 12:36:25 -0400
> Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> > Because you have access to low-cost bandwidth and storage does not
> > mean everybody has.
>
> I understand, but in the case of XZ, if one is tight on storage, is he
> likely to have a lot of RAM and CPU to spare (which is usually more
> expensive)?

For the record, the majority of disk space used on ftp.netbsd.org is for
binary packages. 30% smaller files makes a huge difference. So this is
not so much about the clients, but the servers hosting the files.
Naturally, better bandwidth utilisation is benefical for all users of
the service.

> As for pkgsrc I agree that supporting the format is good, as third
> parties might decide to use that format for source archives in the
> future.

There is already quite a lot movement in that direction.

Joerg