Re: Import of XZ

On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 12:36:25 -0400
Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Because you have access to low-cost bandwidth and storage does not
> mean everybody has.

I understand, but in the case of XZ, if one is tight on storage, is he
likely to have a lot of RAM and CPU to spare (which is usually more
expensive)?

However I possibly see a case for embedded devices with high-end
hardware, but low read-only storage to extract the root fs from, I
guess.  Perhaps it could also be useful for amd64 live DVDs to crunch
more data on them too, if it's possible to eventually make vndcompress
and vnd read support it; those are very storage-constrained
situations I can think of...

As for pkgsrc I agree that supporting the format is good, as third
parties might decide to use that format for source archives in the
future.
--
Matt