Re: proposal: inetd improvements.

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 12:43 PM, der Mouse
<> wrote:
>>       9.  convert it to libevent for portability and provide autoconf
>>           so that it can be built on other OSes (not used on NetBSD
>>           of course).
> Well, IMO autoconf is not an improvement.  My opinion on autoconf (or
> more precisely on configure scripts, especially autoconf-generated
> configure scripts) can be found in my blah post of last November at
> (also available
> over HTTP at

You are basing your rants on incorrectly written configure scripts,
not on the tool itself.  Portability is hard, period.  Specially if
the developer doesn't have access to obscure architecture/system

autoconf is just a tool to aid the developer in making the code more
portable, but it is not a magic ball -- it just can't be.  It has a
few benefits though: it is widespread (so it's known), it generally
works for most stuff, it can be made to be packager-friendly and its
documentation includes tons of wisdom re. portability issues.

This reminds me of an article I wrote a while ago (being that 5 years
ago, I'd have written things differently today, but most of the points
in there are still valid):

Regarding security, well... nothing prevents you to audit the file, which is much much simpler, and regenerating the
configure script manually before running it.

Julio Merino