Re: proplist [was: Importing xmlgrep into base]

At Sat, 17 Apr 2010 15:38:40 +0400,
Aleksej Saushev wrote:

> Nhat Minh Le <nhat.minh.le%huoc.org@localhost> writes:
>
> > At Sat, 17 Apr 2010 12:39:58 +0400,
> > Aleksej Saushev wrote:
> >>
> >> That it is already imported is a mistake.
> >>
> >> And all this flame is about not making another mistake by importing
> >> another patched up tool to deal with another one "non-binary format"
> >> for any kind of data.
> >
> > "Patched-up"? By no means are my tools perfect, but since nobody has
> > bothered to comment, I can only assume there's not much to
> > say. Though, if you've got something to say, please go ahead and say
> > it. But please keep it technical. And I would also kindly ask you to
> > refrain from gratuitously insulting other people's work.
>
> No offense, but you're repeating the same mistake many other writers do.
> You assume that whatever is done, is ready to become accepted by the world.
> It isn't so. Instead, anything with insufficient grounds is considered
> patched up, and the quality of work doesn't matter at all.
>
> [...]

Please do not make false claims about whatever you think I'm
assuming. I've never said or implied that my work would be "accepted
by the world". I just wanted to make clear that whatever the point you
are trying to make, it has nothing to do with the technical merit or
quality of my work. That is all. You are of course free to think
whatever you will of my tools and their relative usefulness.

> >> This is wrong approach. If you think that a tool is useful,
> >> make a package and popularize it.
> >
> > Will do. This does not prevent it from being imported into base,
> > though.
>
> This is necessary condition. We have more useful software blocked
> outside base, e.g. Lua, and xmlgrep isn't as useful as Lua is.
> Promote your tools, make them popular and useful, and it will be fine.
> As for now I find grounds to import it into base system at least
> insufficient and oppose importing.

I think you're misunderstanding something here, about me and "my"
tools. I'd like to remind you that this project was actually a NetBSD
SoC project that I did not propose, so basically, I started working on
this for NetBSD, last year. So please do not make it sound like I'm
some fraud trying to push for some obscure undeserving piece of
software I wrote to get into base. I'm not. I was asked to write it
for NetBSD in the first place; I'm just fulfilling my promise to
finish what I started.

If the project does not end in base, then so be it. Even though it was
written for NetBSD, it doesn't mean I'll let it die if, in the end,
NetBSD doesn't want any of it. I'll just go elsewhere; but since
NetBSD sponsored it, it's only natural that I'd offer NetBSD to import
it first.

I'm just here to discuss the technical details. Whether xmltools end
up in base or not is not my decision to make, though I favor that
option because it's what I've been working towards till now.

--
Nhat Minh