ext2fs and chown

I may be posting this to the wrong list and should that be the case,
please bear with me.

Since I reorganized my system I have /home mounted on an ext2 partition
which I also use from Linux. I know that I used to chown directories or
files when I used mount_ext2fs earlier, so I have no idea why it
silently fails nowadays. chown does return 0 as result code, and yet
the directory I wanted to chown remains unchanged. chmod works, just
chown and chgrp have no effect.

I'd be grateful for any hints,
Juergen