Re: Adding openresolv to base

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 06:35:05AM +0000, Roy Marples wrote:
>> Rather than introducing further hacks to automatically munge what's
>> theoretically a sysadmin-edited file, can we have the daemons do this
>> in /var/run, and have the resolver go look at the results based on a
>> resolv.conf setting?
>
> If you didn't want something to "munge" or clobber /etc/resolv.conf then
> would wouldn't be running DHCP, PPP, VPN, etc - or those components
> would already be disabled for applying DNS to the system.

Well yes, except that ideally one would be able to run these things,
and even have them provide nameservers, without e.g. having them
clobber the domain search list.

(Not to criticize your code - I have no idea what your code does, but
some of the programs that historically scribble in resolv.conf do
rearrange things rather freely.)

> Infact one of the goals of resolvconf is to allow your finely crafted
> resolv.conf options to persist in /etc/resolv.conf which would always
> take precedence over anything automatically added.

Great.

> > I doubt the overhead induced by the resolver loading an additional
> > file from cache will be a problem, even on vaxes, and I must say I
> > really don't like it when random tools clobber my configuration.
>
> By adding another file you have increased complexity. If both files are
> present, which should be used? If both, in what order? What if I want my
> static config to appear somewhere in the middle? Should we have a third
> file to configure this?

No, you have an include directive in /etc/resolv.conf at the point you
want. Or you don't have it at all, if that's what you want. Simple and
easy to manage.

> You're also ignoring the extra benefits of openresolv dealing with a
> local resolver such as named or dnsmsq.

I don't see how this is relevant to management of which state is kept
where...

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost