Re: Making the keyboard work

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 04:40:29PM +0100, Quentin Garnier wrote:

> While I certainly don't object for the wscons terminals, I'm a bit
> worried for serial console users.  Can't that screw them up?  IOW, I'm
> ok for the ttyE lines, but I'd like to be sure that e.g. vi won't be
> unusable if you change the console lines that way when used over serial.

It's wrong to change the console entries.  There should not be a getty
on /dev/console by default anyway, on ports without a separate 'console'
driver -- getty should be configured on all the usual suspects for
underlying console device.

So, on i386, for example, getty should be configured on tty00 with terminal
type 'unknown', and ttyE0 with terminal type 'wsvt25'.

If you don't do that, there's also no way to allow root to log in with a
password but require password entry to go single-user from boot.

Thor