Re: vi vs. nvi

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 04:43:41PM +0200, Aymeric Vincent wrote:

> Christos gave the reasons why nvi is bigger: the wchar_t-enabled regex
> library and the compilation flags.

He did mention the compilation flags.  But that's going to be changed,
right?

As to "the wchar_t-enabled regex library":  I object to paying once for
the whole system (in libc) a lot less than once per executable.  In other
words, "Christos gave the reasons why..." says precisely nothing about
whether they are actually _sufficient_ reasons; it says only that they
_are_ reasons.

I'm not against growing the system, if it provides adequate benefit.  I
am still skeptical about whether there is adequate benefit for the
considerable amount of growth in this case.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
tls%rek.tjls.com@localhost