Re: vi vs. nvi

Alan Barrett <apb%cequrux.com@localhost> writes:

> On Fri, 18 Jul 2008, David Young wrote:
>> These days, NetBSD is shipping two versions of vi, /usr/bin/vi and
>> /usr/bin/nvi.
>
> That's obviously a mistake.  Whoever accidentally set things up so that
> nvi gets installed should just undo it.

Thank you for your comment.

My mistake was to delay the announcement of this decision on a public
list because I thought there was some movement on the front of some
japanese character set support. Apparently things have stalled here,
but I think we really need to have _any_ user be able to test the new
nvi while still providing a thoroughly tested text editor. 5.0 should
ship with only the new nvi.

Christos gave the reasons why nvi is bigger: the wchar_t-enabled regex
library and the compilation flags.

 Aymeric