Re: syslog.conf format (Re: SoC: Improve syslogd)

Rainer Gerhards schrieb:
Oh, and by the way... Would you be willing to try to create a
"syslog.conf RFC" out of this discussion? This popped up as an idea on
the IETF mailing list, but it did not evolve.

I am not sure if I have to write more on it than already present in the BSD man page on syslog.conf (http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?syslog.conf). I think that or already sets a recommendation for new implementors.

The problem is that there are quite a lot of extensions around -- how should we decide which are useful and which are unnecessary?

Also some implementations already made incompatible extensions. The most important is probably the pipe action (|), which pipes to a fifo on Linux (sysklogd and rsyslog) but to an exec()'d program on BSD.

--
Martin