Re: SoC: Improve syslogd

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Martin Schütte <info%mschuette.name@localhost>
wrote:
> Rainer Gerhards schrieb:
>>
>> http://barney.cs.uni-potsdam.de/trac/syslogd/wiki/syslogd/Configuration
>> I wonder if you would be interested in keeping consistent with the
>> extensions I have made in rsyslog for the same purpose. I use
>>
>> *.* @@(opt-chars)<destination>:<port>
>
> I would like to have compatible config files.

> UDP-only and TLS-only destinations. I think it is a good compromise between
> a 'traditional' syslog.conf and extensibility for later protocols.
> For that reason I do not like the @@ symbol -- it does not leave room for
> later extensions. Unless all additional layers like TLS and RELP are given
> as options.

well... the "problem" is that @@(opt) is already in use since two
years or so. I would find this a good incident to use that format.

You could always use

*.* @@(mode=tls,whatever-else)server.example.net

The advantage is that a lot of people already know what it is. And
this format is not only available on BSD, but on other platforms, too.
It is the default on Red Hat Linux distros for example.

But... using @T/@U is not really a problem for me, the parser is
quickly adopted to understand yet another format.

The bigger question is how you intend to handle the authorization
issues that come along with -transport-tls. For example, how do you
specify the remote client names that a sender is permitted to listen
to. Or how to specify if you use name, fingerprint or anonymous
authentication. The current rsyslog approach works, but is ugly.

Rainer