Re: bsdcpio and bsdtar installed by default

In article <alpine.DEB.0.999.0806051757410.22267%m2s05.vlinux.de@localhost>,
Hubert Feyrer  <hubert%feyrer.de@localhost> wrote:
>On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>> So, let's just switch to the new code now. We can leave the old source
>> in the tree, until the cpio front end is completed. By that time if we
>> see a critical issue, we can decide to go back and use the old tar code.
>
>Now that there's a freeze/quiet period, it would be nice to honor it,
>and do this for 6.0 (or 5.1). I see too little benefit in rushing this in,
>with this possibly bringing up other issues in 5.0 then.

The benefit is that we are going to have less code to maintain and one
copy of the programs in the tree. Same for nvi and vi. If we want to
start shipping multiple copies of programs we should just create /usr/xpg4/bin.
[Just kidding]

christos