Re: bsdcpio and bsdtar installed by default

>> Exactly why do we need to create such archives?
> What other format exists to correctly represent long symlinks?

Mine.  I wrote my own tar long ago, and one of the things it does is
long symlinks.  (Among others.  Also relevant: long hardlink targets,
long archive-member pathnames, archive members bigger than 8G, device
major/minor numbers over 0777777, and compact storage of sparse files.)

Not that I'm sure it represents an argument at all, much less which
way, in the discussion, but you did ask.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse%rodents.montreal.qc.ca@localhost