Re: bsdcpio and bsdtar installed by default

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 02:09:02PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 01:05:49PM +0100, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> > >
> > > One reason is that it makes it possible to use the mono package on
> > > NetBSD 5.0 and supposedly other similiar packages. pax-as-tar can't deal
> > > with the POSIX interchange format pkg_create creates and it can't even
> > > create such archives correctly.
> >
> > Exactly why do we need to create such archives?
>
> What other format exists to correctly represent long symlinks? GNU tar
> format is not an answer as GNU tar itself is creating POSIX interchange
> archives here. Why do we want to create such archives? Because tar is
> also a backup program.

GNU tar added the LongLink stuff, our pax was modified to support it.
Your answer doesn't explain to me right away why we need to ditch
pax-as-tar - from that, I can only suspect that there is no reason.

> > > That is a very practical reason to do
> > > it before the branch, especially given that the pkg_install-renovation
> > > branch won't be part of NetBSD 5.0, which fixes the problem by avoiding
> > > external tar completely.
> >
> > This has come around too late in the release cycle for 5.0 for it to
> > be considered for inclusion in 5.0.
>
> Fine, in that case I can mark the PR as "won't fix" and don't bother
> with another NetBSD release.

Yes, it's a pity, but the dates for the release cycle have long been
known, and passed; as for your last remark - I have one son who is a
teenager, and one who is 10 going on 18, so I'm kind of immune to
these kind of guilt trips.  Can you try that one again, please?

Thanks,
Al