Re: SoC: Improve syslogd

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 11:56 PM, Martin Schütte
<lists%mschuette.name@localhost> wrote:
> Rainer Gerhards schrieb:
>

> > I'd like to hear your thought on the unfinished state of syslog-
> > transport-tls: how do you intend to deal with it?
> >

>  Currently I just hope the draft is agreed upon and moves towards RFC status
> in the next three months.
>  My final commit will be in August. The status of transport-tls at that time
> will have to decide what happens then; in the worst case (still in draft
> status, open problems) the commit into NetBSD will have to wait.
>  I guess once the draft gets into the RFC editor queue then it will be ok to
> commit an implementation to NetBSD-current.

Given the history of the syslog-sec WG, I have to admit I am a bit
skeptic if we will really see -transport-tls ove to the RFC ED queue
this summer. However, at least it looks like somebody is again working
on it (it was dormant for nearly half a year now):

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/syslog/current/msg01834.html

So let's hope for the best...

> > With my rsyslog
> > project, I finally needed to complete TLS support and will release a
> > first version next monday. However, as -transport-tls is not finished
> >

>  I guess you cannot do more than document it as experimental and tell your
> users not to rely on current behaviour.

Agreed. I will also tackle this beast with configuration options. So
changes to -transport-tls will most probably result in additional
config settings, which will enable users to either select
-transport-tls or previous modes. The bad thing is that I can't break
compatibility with what I now release...

Is there a mailing list for your project? I would really like to
follow up on how you progress and I think you have some good ideas
where I, too, could borrow. It is very exciting for me to see somebody
else working on this topic and exchanging ideas is really much better
than you wrangling with yourself or close friends ;)

Rainer