The GNU GDB Debugger and NetBSD (Part 4)

The GNU GDB Debugger and NetBSD (Part 4)

September 10, 2020 posted by Kamil Rytarowski

The NetBSD team of developers maintains two copies of GDB:

    One in the base-system with a stack of local patches.
    One in pkgsrc with mostly build fix patches.

The base-system version of GDB (GPLv3) still relies on a set of local
patches. I set a goal to reduce the local patches to bare minimum,
ideally reaching no local modifications at all.

Over the past month I worked on gdbserver for NetBSD/amd64 and finally
upstreamed it to the GDB mainline, just in time for GDB 10.

http://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/the_gnu_gdb_debugger_and3

NetBSD is the first BSD and actually the first Open Source UNIX-like OS
besides Linux to grow support for gdbserver.

Plan for the next milestone

Introduce AArch64 support for GDB/NetBSD.