libfl.a ->

When linking a shared library with libtool against libfl.a it

*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lfl.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with libfl and none of the candidates passed a file format test
*** using a regex pattern. Last file checked: /usr/lib/libfl.a

Is there a reason we don't provide a

Or should I call libtool differently?