Re: Incorrect demangling

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 02:59:05PM -0400, Mouse wrote:
 > As for binary compatability, my inclination would be to switch mangling
 > styles and at the same time make demangling recognize both kinds of
 > name, with a message for the old style.  Then, next release, remove the
 > old style of demangling.

It's not just that, it will break all C++ shared libraries too.

Anyhow, it's not likely to get fixed, upstream or otherwise;
identifiers containing __ were made a de facto reserved part of the
linker namespace when C++ first started to become popular... which was
well over 20 years ago.

Maybe if we ever ditch ELF we can include some kind of per-symbol
language or naming domain tags into the new format; but I'm not
convinced it's worthwhile or even necessarily desirable.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost