Re: updating a piece of the running system from build.sh is too hard

At Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:36:44 -0500, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost>
wrote:
Subject: Re: updating a piece of the running system from build.sh is too hard

> "sudo nbmake-$arch DESTDIR=/ MKUNPRIVED=no install" seems to do exactly
> this but I'm not 100% certain.

As far as I can tell it (still) does.  I've used this since about 2004.

>  I propose
>
>   sudo nbmake-$arch live-install
>
> to be an equivalent shortcut.

I'm not sure what's really shorter about it, and I'm not sure it would
be so easy to implement in the current Makefile machinery.

Setting MKUNPRIVED=no IFF ${DESTDIR} is "/" makes some sense, and
shouldn't break anything else that I'm aware of, but for me that
wouldn't really be a huge enough improvement to be worthwhile either.

I can send you my wrapper and helper scripts for a deeper look at how
I've been doing builds if you'd like.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.