Re: updating a piece of the running system from build.sh is too hard

Alan Barrett <apb%cequrux.com@localhost> writes:

> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010, der Mouse wrote:
>> > Should DESTDIR=/ automatically flip off MKUNPRIVED for the install
>> > target?
>>
>> IMO, no, it should not, at least not unless some other way is provided
>> (and documented!) to say "this was built unprived and thus privileged
>> things like ownerships are stored where an unprived build puts them;
>> please get them from there and install over the live system".
>
> As far as I am aware, the "make build" phase works identically whether
> or not MKUNPRIVED is used, so there's no need for a switch such
> as you suggest.  It's the "make install" phase that behaves very
> differently, either saving ownership and permissions in the METALOG
> (with MKUNPRIVED), or saving ownership and permissions directly in the
> inodes of the target files (without MKUNPRIVED).

What I tried to suggest is exactly what you describe here:

> I think that it would be useful to have a simple way of telling
> ${TOOLDIR}/bin/nbmake-${MACHINE} to install as if MKUNPRIVED had not
> been set at the time the wrapper was created.  I haven't thought enough
> about how to do that.

"sudo nbmake-$arch DESTDIR=/ MKUNPRIVED=no install" seems to do exactly
this but I'm not 100% certain.  I propose

  sudo nbmake-$arch live-install

to be an equivalent shortcut.