Re: Stop shipping static libraries for NetBSD

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:05:50AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> > [...the "stop shipping .a libraries" thread we know all too well...]
>
> Actually, for me at least, provided building a system with static
> libraries is supported, I'll be OK.  But I have no doubt that if we
> stop shipping .a libraries, it will be at most a few months before
> someone does away with building them at all, and then the support for
> them will go unmaintained, and in a year or two more will be removed
> because it hasn't worked for months so obviously nobody is using it.

it's easy enough to add an automated regression test, right?

all combinatorial combinations of MK* variables are checked on a regular
basis, right?

I don't oppose dropping .a files from the default distribution, but I do
oppose dropping the ability for them to be built.

I think the only way to insure .a building doesn't get dropped is to
have a separate tarball with the static libs generated as part of the
autobuild process by at least one autobuilder.  it seems the only way to
ensure the static libs don't bit-rot.

--
  Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." |
agrier%poofygoof.com@localhost