Re: Stop shipping static libraries for NetBSD

On Aug 18, 2008, at 2:41 PM, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
I guess that begs the question... "So?"

What is so inherently good about static binaries?  I can think of a
few reasons why they're not so great.  Please tell me my they're so
wonderful.

% file /rescue/atactl
/rescue/atactl: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for NetBSD 3.0,
statically linked, stripped

Was that a proposal to abandon /rescue as well?
I second the idea that for embedded applications, statically linked things are useful.

Think crunchgen (which we actually use for sysinst, too).

The proposal is stop shipping; not stop using. Anything in the build can continue to use them, as can anyone doing their own builds. The proposal is to not ship them so the average user won't be able to link static programs.