Re: Stop shipping static libraries for NetBSD

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
I guess that begs the question... "So?"

What is so inherently good about static binaries?  I can think of a
few reasons why they're not so great.  Please tell me my they're so
wonderful.

% file /rescue/atactl
/rescue/atactl: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for
NetBSD 3.0,
statically linked, stripped

Was that a proposal to abandon /rescue as well?
I second the idea that for embedded applications, statically linked things are useful.

Think crunchgen (which we actually use for sysinst, too).

 - Hubert