Re: Stop shipping static libraries for NetBSD

On Aug 19, 2008, at 5:47 PM, Aaron J. Grier wrote:

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 03:32:38PM -0400, Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. wrote:
On 19-Aug-08, at 3:13 PM, Aaron J. Grier wrote:

again with the binary-only strawman.  I do not understand how you get
from simplifying the build process by eliminating .a files to in
marketing perceptions and proprietary OS vendors.  perhaps you could
elucidate.

let me see if I can summarize your argument:

- user must be binary-only OS consumer
AND
- user must be source application consumer
AND
- user must be interested in statically-linking source applications

AND
user must be able to compile his own source but somehow cannot possibly compile/obtain NetBSD source

Otherwise in Greg's world the user would simply be able to compile both ends of whatever this user wants and have no issue at all.

James