Re: ar "zero" flag

On 7-Aug-08, at 7:10 AM, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

A small request: could we use a second "subject" line to discuss
getting rid of .a files altogether? I'd like to keep the topics
separate, given that I have to make something work for 5.0 and .a
files will certainly be in 5.0...

I really do like the idea of being able to rebuild binaries that are bit-for-bit identical regardless of when or where they are built. Or at least I like the idea of being able to compare any similar object file types and determine that they are in fact identical in all ways which could possibly affect their eventual execution as machine code.

This zeroing of timesstamps does seem to be the most elegant idea vs. the as yet never appeared idea of a diff/cmp-like tool that's aware of the inner structure of various object file types. However such a tool would also suffice for my needs of comparing binaries, and it would potentially also have far more utility than a simple flag to eliminate timestamps from object archives would have. Note that such a tool could also be used to generate data for cryptographic signing if it were to have a mode where it would act like "cat" but zero out irrelevant non-executable non-data sections as it copied them through. I don't think use of such a tool would in any way decrease the level of trust one should have in the result.

I'm not so sure I like '0' as the date value to be used to eliminate timestamp information from object archives. I did kind of like the 0xDEADBEEF idea. Zero though might work best with any version of "make" as-is.

--
                                        Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
                                        <woods%planix.ca@localhost>