Re: m68k softfloat builds

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 05:54:36PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> We have many choices:
> 1. always put the softfloat glue in libgcc; pros: no magic library
>    selection, easier build process. cons: some size overhead in libgcc
>    [I don't think it is much].
> 2. build the softfloat glue only on machines that need it; pros:
>    efficient.  cons: complex build process, need to figure out
>    crosscompiling, different userland flavors for the same platform.
> 3. build the softfloat glue in a separate library, and auto-load it
>    using ld.so magic. pros: efficient. cons: more complicated than
>    building a single library, relies on ld.so magic.
>
> My order of preference is best to worst 1, 3, 2. Others? Other ideas?

ld.so glue is used by sparc, and was (is still?) used by i386, so there
is some precedence.

the main tradeoff is that if we want to share userland between
FPU/non-FPU systems, userland needs to be built softfloat, or kernel FP
emulation needs to be sufficient to handle generated floating point.
pulling up gcc versions broke this on i386, and the concensus there was
to do #2: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.netbsd.ports.i386/12479

I don't like it, but I'm also not the one doing the work.

--
  Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." |
agrier%poofygoof.com@localhost