Re: src and xsrc merge proposal

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 at 18:37, Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 12:00:35PM +0100, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
> I propose to merge src and xsrc into a single source tree.

Let's keep things as is for now and not add more moving parts. That can
change at a later point, but right now it would just create pain for
little gain.

Joerg

I agree with Joerg here.

Additionally, I agree with the problem identified by Kamil, but I think we can get a better solution to the issue.

It only takes a brief look at https://github.com/NetBSD/xsrc/commits/trunk http://archive.is/IJ30c and/or https://xsrc.fossil.netbsd.org/timeline http://archive.is/oj2Ej to see that there have been several calendar months in the last year where the xsrc tree didn't receive a single commit at all, yet it still takes several gigabytes of space, per the metrics in OP:

>> - xsrc (0.9GB) is around 22.5% of size of src+xsrc (4GB), which is

Additionally, the whole idea of importing close to a gigabyte of stuff into the base repository just seems a little strange, to say the least.  Shouldn't we instead be looking into moving xsrc into pkgsrc?

In fact, an old interview with mycroft@ from 2006 comes to mind, he's one of NetBSD's founders who is no longer with the project, on an O'Reilly website that's no longer even online:

http://web.archive.org/web/20061103033527/http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/6713

tl;dr: He has a good point here, and I'd be in favour of deprecating xsrc, but I think it should be deprecated and transitioned into pkgsrc, not src.

NetBSD's src repository is already huge as-is (I think it's by far the largest of FreeBSD, OpenBSD and DragonFly BSD), there's no good reason to bulk it up even more.  In fact, it might as well even make more sense to split it up into the kernel, non-kernel and external/gpl components, especially with the transition to DVCS (where you'd no longer be able to simply put an exclude on undesired paths otherwise), similar to syssrc.tgz, src.tgz and gnusrc.tgz in http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-9.0/source/sets/ http://archive.is/H6Qoo :

-rw-r--r--  1 611  611  146M Feb 14 06:58 gnusrc.tgz
-rw-r--r--  1 611  611  7.2M Feb 14 06:59 sharesrc.tgz
-rw-r--r--  1 611  611  198M Feb 14 06:57 src.tgz
-rw-r--r--  1 611  611   57M Feb 14 06:58 syssrc.tgz
-rw-r--r--  1 611  611  149M Feb 14 07:00 xsrc.tgz

Cheers,
Constantine.        http://cm.su/