Re: src and xsrc merge proposal

On 21.02.2020 01:34, Chris Hanson wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2020, at 11:41 AM, Kamil Rytarowski <n54%gmx.com@localhost> wrote:

>>> So you’re saying you expect Wayland and applications written for it should work fine on a 16MHz 68020 with a 1-bit framebuffer?
>>>

>> wayland is a protocol and it should handle 1-bit framebuffer.
>
> Please don’t fall back to “it’s just a protocol” and “should.” Does any concrete implementation of Wayland currently support things like 1- to 8-bit framebuffers without any sort of hardware compositing? Do any concrete implementations actually run with reasonable performance on the variety of hardware that NetBSD supports?

wayland is agnostic to 1 or 8-bit framebuffers.

It's a matter of picking or developing a compositor for wayland. A
compositor can use plain 1-bit framebuffer and in theory preexisting
NetBSD video device drivers.

I am not familiar with any plans in TNF or out of it to write wayland
compositor for m68k. You could develop one, hire a programmer to code it
for you or stay with preexisting X stack.

>> In practice we will likely preserve Xorg for tier2/tier3 machines as
>> long as they will be supported.
>
> You were just saying that it’d be discontinued and archived. Which is it?
>

>> Out of tier1 ports, on amd64/aarch64 we might switch completely to
>> wayland but it will be a process taking years.
>
> Who’s we and why would we “switch" to it? Rather than just have it available as another alternative to use?

Xorg at some point of time will be discontinued upstream and EOLed.
There will be no new device drivers, no new Mesa, no new DEs/WMs etc and
it will be defunct at some point.

Once it will have near 0 value for near 100% users it's not realistic to
expect the developers to keep it fully operational forever.

Xorg (and xfree86) will stay around for foreseeable future for legacy
reasons.

The X protocol will probably stay around (at least in a maintstream
usage) for at least a few decades.

Future of X on UNIX is most likely xwayland, on top of a wayland compositor.