Re: Git Stability

On 2010-01-13 12:25 +0100 (Wed), S.P.Zeidler wrote:

> Thus wrote Curt Sampson (cjs%NetBSD.org@localhost):
>
> > Certainly. What went wrong with git, if I may ask?
>
> The update process got interrupted and left refs/heads empty.

Err, *what* update process? You're rather parsimonious with information,
which is probably why I don't understand your problems most of the time.

> The git repositories on ftp are bare repositories, btw, as a cursory look
> eg at http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/repositories/git/src/ would
> show.

Indeed, the cursory look I took before I sent the message showed that.
Which is I said:

> > If you're talking about what's usually referred to as the "index" in git
> > (the .git/index file), you don't have such a thing in git bare repo,
> > which is what the master repo should be.

So I'm mystified by your comment that you lose the git repo if the
"index" is corrupted.

> I am of the distinct impression that you think I'm very stupid indeed.

Well, you got that dead wrong. I think you're quite smart, actually. The
only points on which you fall down are:

    a) you're very parismonious with information, to the point where
    even expert sysadmins don't know what "index" or "update" you're
    talking about, and

    b) you don't realize that when you hold back information from
    people, the reaction you get is because you've not given them enough
    information to know what the heck you're doing, rather than because
    they think you're stupid.

So, care to explain, to someone reasonably knowledgable about git, what
this mysterious "index" and this mysterious "update" is, both of which
cause one to lose repos?

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs%cynic.net@localhost>         +81 90 7737 2974