Re: is the proof in the pudding?

David Holland <dholland-tech%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 11:20:57AM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>  > Trying to import the tree into some random VCS is cheap,
>
> Have you tried at all? It's not.

Of course it is. How many dollars does it cost the project? None. It
costs nothing but volunteer time, and the volunteers will be people
who think a particular system is best.

It is a pack of bureaucratic foolishness to say that people mustn't
try to import into their favorite VCS and advocate for it because
we've concluded in advance we can't use some system or other because
we don't like the color of the paint.

If someone can't manage to do the import, then that will disqualify
their favorite system on its own without any need for "decision
criteria". It hurts no one but the person advocating for that system
who wasted their time. No one else suffers.

If, on the other hand, the process for selection is some bureaucratic
nightmare based on pre-selected rigid "criteria", committee
decision-making and abstract evaluation of untried systems, instead of
simply testing running code and seeing what people prefer, it will be
a failure.

Nothing is made better by bureaucracy.

--
Perry E. Metzger                perry%piermont.com@localhost