Re: is the proof in the pudding?

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 04:39:49AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> svn has scalability/resource usage problems,

We need to retest this on current versions (if you mean the runtime
memory usage).
It needs slightly more than 3x the space for a checked out tree as cvs,
but this is just a mostly constant factor ;-}

> weird branch/tag semantics

I don't understand this point. It has a pretty clear, simple logic
for both, everything else is local usage policy - and I don't see how it
would cause problems for NetBSD's workflow.

> and has in the past earned a bad reputation for
> reliability.

True, but note that this was always easy to fix and did not cause data loss,
and more importantly: at least in my experience the problems have been solved
at least for two release versions now.

> Also it doesn't really offer a whole lot over CVS.

That is the true and IMHO a big point - I personally am very suprised by the
FreeBSD move - all the hassle for so little gain.

Martin