Re: Daemon user

Jason Bacon <jtocino%gmx.com@localhost> writes:

> I'm not sure I understand the rational behind this behavior, which is
> basically the same as CONF_FILES.  Unlike config files, I don't think
> most rc scripts installed by packages are templates meant to be modified
> by the user.

They are not.  But it's a basic rule, for files which perhaps could be
modified, that packaging systems shouldn't overwrite the user's
changes.  Of course, for hot-patching things by "emacs
/usr/pkg/bin/foo", it will.  But rc.d scripts are a little iffy.

> At any rate, I augmented the comment on PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS in
> mk/pkginstall/bsd.pkginstall.mk to more fully explain the current behavior.

Souunds good.  Maybe the next person will actually even look there!