Re: Switching default version of PHP/RUBY and retirement...

On Fri, Feb 02, 2024 at 08:00:06PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Thomas Klausner <wiz%gatalith.at@localhost> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 02, 2024 at 01:27:43PM +0000, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> >> I want to see php56 kept (and probably php74), certainly until the time that
> >> it is unable to build and fixing it is too much work.
> >
> > This is probably a pet peeve of mine and this is not intended to
> > target Stephen, but
> >
> > - there is no reason given why it should be kept
>
> that's fair
>
> > - there is no offer to maintain it, just asking other to do work
> >
> > Please consider time others have to spend if you request stuff like
> > this...
>
> Is the continued existence of php56 causing anyone work?

Yes. For example, I'm regularly reading bulk build reports and
currently there are php56-imagemagick and (in some) php56-intl there -
I have to remember if it was broken before or if I should investigate
it for recent breakage.

But the argument is beside the point - if there is no work, there is
no work for the new MAINTAINER either and it's easy to offer
MAINTAINERship.
 Thomas