Re: Substitute for git-package.mk in pkgsrc proper?

Paul Ripke <stix%stix.id.au@localhost> writes:

> I'm looking at cleaning up wip/prusaslicer and dependencies for promotion
> into pkgsrc, and I'm stuck on wip/opencascade-git, where the fetch options
> are password protected download URL, or fetch via git.

As Martin says, not having a release tarball is an upstream bug.

If this is really open source, you/we/? could host a copy, which is icky
but doesn't require extra code.

It is an interesting question how much accomodation for bad upstream
disttributions should be migrated from wip -- where packaging things
that aren't releases is much more ok -- to pkgsrc proper.

Generally, pkgsrc wants a "distfile" which has checksum and can be
mirrored.  A "there is no distfile; you have to run git" is not
consistent with that, and I note there are not checksums for the code in
wip/opencascade-git.

I am unclear on what is supported where.  I see github and gitlab in
mk/, but I think that's about constructing URLs that fetch tarballs, vs
doing a checkout.