Re: using pkg-config modules from host (Re: wip/py-numpy + blas)

Am Fri, 17 Nov 2023 11:35:06 -0500
schrieb Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost>:

> I agree this is hard to deal with.  I find that the nis file is included
> in python on NetBSD 10.  But it only links with libc -- on NetBSD xdr
> and yp are in libc.

I suppose this is new in python311, only looking at libnsl.pc. Do you
have python311 with nis.so on NetBSD 10?

> Is this newly causing you problems?  I see the point, but I would expect
> this to be longstanding.

It did not occur with earlier python …

> I understand now that yp used to be glibc, but was pulled out so that it
> could use TI-RPC for IPv6.   Why the in-libc RPC was not just upgraded
> to do IPv6 is unclear to me.

Also unclear to me. People like to make things hard for packagers. A
sudden fluke of minimalism in glibc land?

>   - in python, just add something to link in the nsl pc file on
>     GNU/Linux

That's my current hack.

>   - in libtirpc, add base libnsl if linux and it exists.  This is icky
>     because YP is not part of RPC.
>
>   - in platform/Linux.mk, somehow add nsl as something to be available
>     in the bl3 environment, since logically it's part of libc.

Restore what classic libc did … also icky, as there are old systems
with nsl in glibc and new systems with the separate lib. Would need a
variable to query so that we can say that this glibc system (or Linux
…) doesn't suport python with NIS.

>   - add a libnsl package that bl3's the linux bits on linux, and does
>     nothing on systems known to have it in libc, and errors otherwise.
>     bl3 this in for programs that use NIS

And this adds cruft to everyone else.

> We can also
>
>   - add an explicit nis option to python, and force off nis if not
>     enabled.  This at least provides a cleaner place to put a
>     workaround.

Need to check how well this works, but of course at least with
patching. Making an explicit switch seems like a good idea anyway.

> At this point what I am not clear on is: on GNU/Linux, does libnsl
> depend on tirpc, and is there no longer rpc in libc either?

The rpc part got ripped out earlier, yes. First libtirpc, then libnsl.

$ pkg-config --libs libnsl
$ pkg-config --print-requires libnsl
libtirpc >= 1.0.1

Alrighty then,