Re: using pkg-config modules from host (Re: wip/py-numpy + blas)

"Dr. Thomas Orgis" <thomas.orgis%uni-hamburg.de@localhost> writes:

> The configure script is happy when I do
>
> ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/libnsl.pc /data/projekte/pkgsrc/work/lang/python311/work/.buildlink/lib/pkgconfig/
> ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/libtirpc.pc /data/projekte/pkgsrc/work/lang/python311/work/.buildlink/lib/pkgconfig/
>
> but those source paths are not universal to all Linux disros. I'd have
> to locate them. And I ask if that is the proper way to handle such,
> anyway.

Indeed, and this is far from proper.

> The generic question is: How to make pkgsrc's pkg-config in builds find
> and use .pc files from the host environment?

The right way is to have a package in pkgsrc for the thing that base
provides, and a builtin.mk.   As nros@ said we have lots of examples.

> Pkgsrc package builds use PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR (replace default search
> path) instead of PKG_CONFIG_PATH (prepend to search list). I know that
> for my user environments, I need to add stuff like
> /usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig to PKG_CONFIG_PATH
> to make all builds of pkg-config find also the system stuff. Should
> pkgsrc bootstrap do that itself? Just like system lib directories that
> are used by the linker, the pkg-config files should also be picked up.

I think it's a bug that random system libs that are not buildlinked are
visible.   For example a package that does not buildlink devel/zlib but
then picks up /usr/lib/libz is basically buggy.