Re: Bulk for HEAD

Greg Troxel writes:
Frédéric Fauberteau <triaxx%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

If I run a bulk build for my 10.99.10, will the packages be compatible
with 10.99.xx (for xx > 10)?

Maybe, but that question is really about current's ABI compat policy
more than pkgsrc.  I suspect the answer is "probably", but that current
doesn't have a rule against breaking ABI compat with earlier current.

The other question, that you didn't ask and might or might not care
about, is if you install such a set, and then build some of your own,
will things be ok.  Again, only probably, and not if there is an ABI
change.

Yes, it was maybe not the right place to ask this question. I am aware that an ABI change can break some things and it is not a pkgsrc issue.

If not, would there be a way to provide
bulk builds for HEAD (without building ~40 GB of packages for each
version increment)?

It's not about the version, which is about the in-kernel ABI.   It needs
to be rebuilt every time there is a userland ABI change.   But no, there
is no way to do this without doing it -- and thus I don't really follow
your question.

I understand that the ABI is bound to evolve and there is probably no solution (which is not convoluted) to provide sets of packages which is compatible with a given ABI.