Re: Sysutils/consul

Benny Siegert <bsiegert%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> Like other Hashicorp software, Consul changed to BUSL license
> (non-free-ish?) a while ago.  The version we have is really old and
> firmly MPL. However, I would like to update it to a version with a
> supported Go build.

ugh, as usual.

> 1.16.1, which came out in August, seems to be the last version before
> the license change, if I am reading the changes right. Should I update
> to this? Or to the latest, with the new license?

My take is that "old" and "icky license" are both bad, and there is no
total ordering.  So having both is probably good, and people can pick
their poison.  I see this as similar to mongodb3 and more recent
mongodb.

So I would suggest:

  consul-mpl as 1.16.1, and then tracking a continuation fork, if it
  happens

  consul, BUSL, follow upstream