Re: Broken USE_PKGSRC_GCC handling

Am Tue, 10 Oct 2023 09:07:12 +0000
schrieb nia <nia%NetBSD.org@localhost>:

> It should be configurable whether to allow pkgsrc to pull in its own
> compiler when the native one is not new enough.

+1 We prescribe a GCC from the outside (not the system one) and that
absolutely shall be used. So far, pkgsrc does build clang for packages
that require it. I am not settled yet on that one, maybe we'd like to
prescribe it as part of the toolchain, too. It's blurry, since LLVM
might be needed as library, too … maybe even with incompatible versions
… but GCC or Intel/AMD/NVIDIA compiler shall be enforcable from our
installations into pkgsrc. If something doesn't work with that, it
should fail to build.

Alrighty then,

Thomas

PS: Also not really talking yet about go or rust toolchains (becoming
part of basesystem with tools and libs being reimplemented in rust) …
maybe we should stop worrying about compilers at some point in the
future and just be happy that our disks are big enough for what is
downloaded behind our backs during build processes from various online
repositories that are available or not.

--
Dr. Thomas Orgis
HPC @ Universität Hamburg