Re: Broken USE_PKGSRC_GCC handling

On Mon, Oct 09, 2023 at 03:36:53PM +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> * On 2023-10-09 at 14:07 BST, Greg Troxel wrote:
>
> > Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%mnx.io@localhost> writes:
> >
> > > And I would strongly recommend architecting this correctly so the
> > > logic is kept in mk/platform/NetBSD.mk.  mk/compiler is already far
> > > too complex, and that makes it very easy to introduce bugs like this.
> >
> > A fair point that things are broken and should be fixed, but I don't see
> > why this is specific to NetBSD.
>
> Yes, there are some other small OPSYS sections that could also be
> abstracted, but they are generally self-contained and commented while the
> NetBSD bits are a lot more invasive, uncommented, and right in the middle of
> complex logic which is likely a leading factor as to how this bug was
> introduced.

The changes cargo-culted a block that contained a very obvious check for both
NetBSD and OPSYS_VERSION, and deleted both, which I think is incorrect in any
circumstances. People need to be better about WorksForMe(tm) style commits  :/

The ideal fix would be to check the compiler version rather than the OS
version, but I don't have the capacity to work on this task at the moment.