Re: maintaining bulk-{small,medium,large}

David Holland <dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

>  > That's not the way it works, IIRC - it's been a while since I banged on
>  > this, and one thing drives out another, as you'll admit*.
>  >
>  > Either the platform or you set LIBIMAGEQUANT_TYPE, and gd will happily
>  > use the chosen libimagequant. Apart from that, gd's upstream makes the
>  > libimagequant dependency a non-default option, but we like to ship with
>  > all lights on for the sake of binary packages.
>
> Well, right. The question is: is it reasonable for bulk-small to
> interrogate LIBIMAGEQUANT_TYPE and then include or not include gd
> based on what it sees? Since we really do not want bulk-small to try
> to build rust.
>
> There's no real reason it couldn't do that, but I don't think it's
> desirable behavior.

available.mk is about whether rust *can* be built, not whether it ca be
built with a reasonable amount of resources.  Our concern here is "don't
include packages that drag in rust, since rust's build doesn't fit in
medium", which is totally different from a non-maintained version of a
package being substituted on platforms that don't have rust.