Re: maintaining bulk-{small,medium,large}

On Fri, Sep 15, 2023 at 09:13:38AM +0200, Hauke Fath wrote:
 > >  > That is what libimagequant/available.mk and libimagequant-c are for.
 > >
 > > I don't think having gd conditionally appear in the package depending
 > > on the setting for that is the right way to go.
 >
 > That's not the way it works, IIRC - it's been a while since I banged on
 > this, and one thing drives out another, as you'll admit*.
 >
 > Either the platform or you set LIBIMAGEQUANT_TYPE, and gd will happily
 > use the chosen libimagequant. Apart from that, gd's upstream makes the
 > libimagequant dependency a non-default option, but we like to ship with
 > all lights on for the sake of binary packages.

Well, right. The question is: is it reasonable for bulk-small to
interrogate LIBIMAGEQUANT_TYPE and then include or not include gd
based on what it sees? Since we really do not want bulk-small to try
to build rust.

There's no real reason it couldn't do that, but I don't think it's
desirable behavior.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost