Re: matplotlib temporary hack

Jason Bacon <jtocino%gmx.com@localhost> writes:

> graphics/py-matplotlib is currently broken, because v3.7.2 forbids our
> version of pyparsing, 3.1.0.
>
> The upstream issue only affects error messages and the test scripts.
> Most functionality still works:
>
> 	https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/issues/26152
>
> Presumably the next matplotlib release will have a fix.

wiz said this was fine, but I will add that in various packages we run
into upstream with <= requirements, and almost always this is an
upstream bug.  It is normal to patch these out, and to also add a patch
if upstream has fixed this.  matrix-synapse is a frequent offender.

(As always, I think any change to upstream should have a comment with a
link to the upstream bug report, created for the purpose of being linked
to if necessary.)

> The only other rational solution I can see is downgrading pyparsing to <
> 3.1.0.  In theory, matplotlib could use devel/pyparsing2, but it depends
> on python 2.x.

It's generally not ok to require other software to be old to accomodate
bugs.  So that could instead be adding an old pyparsing additionally.
But minor ick in matplotlib seems vastly preferable, especially if this
is temporary.  It does seem like pyparsing and matplotlib upstreams are
working collaboratively to resolve this.