Re: Versioning rust (firefox91 again)

------- Original Message -------
On Friday, July 14th, 2023 at 10:20 PM, David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:

> Just a comment that with the latest rust version, firefox91 appears to
> be non-buildable again - looks like it's bundled version of mp4parse
> will not build with more modern rust. It may be possible to copy in a
> more recent version of mp4parse, or patch the bundled version, but I
> thought I'd raise the possibility of keeping an older version of rust
> around for this kind of case (Presumably it would depend on whether
> other packages have issues and/or if firefox91 is considered valuable
> enough :)

IMHO, supporting EOL software is no reason for versioning.
An obvious option, as you mentioned, is to patch it to work with recent Rust.

As a maintainer for the majority of the Rust (with exception to lang/rust) packages in tree, I don't like the idea of versioning Rust.
The extra maintenance burden is simply not what I wish for.