Re: Versioning rust (firefox91 again)

pin <voidpin%protonmail.com@localhost> writes:

> IMHO, supporting EOL software is no reason for versioning.

pkgsrc does not have a policy that once software is EOL it is
automatically kicked out.  Removals are based on the benefit to users vs
pain.  We have multiple versions of lots of things, and I think it's
remarkable that we haven't versioned rust yet, given what a compat
problem it is.

It certainly is possible that old firefox is the only reason for old
rust today, but I wouldn't want us to be  a  mode of "we should delete X
because it's the only thing that needs old rust" and end up doing that
multiple times, where if we had multiple things at once it would be
clear that rust should be versioned.

> As a maintainer for the majority of the Rust (with exception to
> lang/rust) packages in tree, I don't like the idea of versioning Rust.
> The extra maintenance burden is simply not what I wish for.

Sure, but the real issue is the way rust and rust-using packages conduct
themselves, and the question is how and how much to work around that.